Throughout Trinity Cafe’s history, there have been a group of humble, committed men and women working behind the scenes to lead, champion and ensure the success of the organization: our board of directors!
From a humble beginning at St. Peter Claver Church on October 15, 2001, serving about 60 meals, doubling that the next day, to nearly 1.5 million meals served to date, our wonderful board of volunteers have each contributed to all that we’ve accomplished:
- We’ve served nearly 1.5 million people who otherwise may not have had anything at all to eat on the day we served them.
- We raised 1 million dollars which purchased, renovated and opened our beautiful Nebraska Ave. commercial kitchen and dining room in April of 2013.
- In 2014 we increased service from 5 to 7 days a week at our Nebraska location.
- In 2015 we received the Bank of America Neighborhood Builders Award.
- We opened our second location on Busch Blvd in the North Tampa hunger gap in April of 2016.
- In 2016 we received Allegany Franciscan Ministries Major Gift Grant to help build our organization’s capacity.
- We added breakfast at the Busch Blvd. location in March of this year.
- In April this year, we implemented a kid’s take-home meal program.
- In November, we announced that in order to meet the changing needs of food insecure individuals and families in our community, Feeding Tampa Bay and Trinity Cafe are merging, effective January 1, 2019. Combining our capabilities will strengthen food relief services across West Central Florida, creating full-service solutions that begin around the table with a healthy chef prepared meal.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” ~ Margaret Meade
This board of directors has changed the world for the community of guests, volunteers and supporters that we serve. Every one of our committed board of directors has contributed to our long-term success!
2018 Board of Directors
- Jeffrey Darrey – Founder and Chairman (hyperlink to earlier blog with his story/history), Marketing Associates, USA, Inc.
Jeff has been a humble servant working quietly, tirelessly and persistently to bring success and growth to Trinity Cafe. As a volunteer, advocate, and champion, he takes every opportunity to invite someone to join him for lunch to experience the cafe. He does not seek accolades; he firmly believes that this is God’s work. His mission is to ensure that Trinity Cafe thrives and his goal is we serve as a model around the nation and the world.
- Frank Crum Jr., FrankCrum, Inc.
For more than 10 years, Frank has served on the board of directors and offered his leadership and name to spearhead a golf tournament that has raised more than $1 million dollars to benefit the guests of Trinity Cafe.
- David Finkel, Partner, Auditz LLC
Dave has served on the board for more than seven years. He’s a dining room favorite hosting Table 7 on Mondays. He led our team to establish our Provision Partners program where donors make a 5-year commitment to the organization providing sustainable income.
- Timothy Guidry, New York Yankees Tampa Foundation
Tim has served nearly two years and leveraged his marketing expertise to benefit the café. He regularly steps up and brings his team when we need them to serve in the dining room and connected us with the Yankees and Tarpons team who also join us at the plate.
- Jennifer Jehn, Miami Dolphins Foundation
Jennifer has served for more than 10 years on the board even remotely as her career has taken her to New York and Miami. Jennifer’s intersection of business, corporate and nonprofit work have helped guide our expansion and development strategy.
- Penny Parks, Links Financial LLC
Penny has served more than 5 years. She has helped cultivate new relationships, served on our events committee, and developed our board recruitment strategy and onboarding process.
- Darren Richards, Tucker Hall
Darren has served for about a year, utilizing his public relations and crisis communications expertise to help us manage relationships.
- Blain Sanford, Strategis CPAs & Consultants, PA
Blain has served more than 10 years as our faithful accountant. He’s the numbers guy. Leading and preparing our tax returns, working with our auditor and overseeing our finances.
- Bruce Scott, M. Scott General Contractor
Bruce is Mr. Fix It. He has served the cafe for more than 10 years managing all our facility’s needs. His contributions and hand prints are on both our locations as he helped to lead our construction efforts at both locations.
- Tori Simmons, Hill Ward Henderson
Tori has served the board for more than three years leveraging her legal expertise. She has been instrumental developing our legal agreements as we’ve expanded, served on the merger steering committee and developed our documents of merger with Feeding Tampa Bay.
- Trey Traviesa, Strategos Group
Trey has served more than 10 years on the board building relationships with local officials, donors, and leading with his business, government and political acumen. Trey led the merger steering committee as we considered the Feeding Tampa Bay and Trinity Cafe merger, performing due diligence, considering our shared values, and charting a bold future together.
- Ellen Wolf, Community Volunteer
Ellen has served on the board for more than three years. She serves, coordinates and is Chef Ben’s right hand person serving in the kitchen every Friday. She’s a kitchen and dining room favorite! Ellen has cultivated new relationships for the cafe and served on our events committee.“It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.” ~ Harry S. Truman
We are grateful for how each of our board members has given their time, talent and treasure to benefit Trinity Cafe! On behalf of our staff, volunteers, and our guests, we are grateful for each of you!